Why WASH? Here’s why!
Read about the founding of WASH here.
- The Washington Area Secular Humanists (WASH) was incorporated in 1989 as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization in Maryland. Our purpose is to promote scientific literacy and critical thinking, to provide a forum for humanists and others to explore humanist principles and how they relate to all aspects of human experience, and to study the significance of humanism throughout history. Secular humanists are distinguished by an emphasis on scientific methods of knowing, separation of church and state, and a commitment to the pursuit of humanist goals outside religious frameworks.
- WASH sponsors seven local chapters for the promotion of Secular Humanist activities within specific communities. A member who has paid dues to WASH is automatically a member of all chapters and is welcome at all WASH events.
- WASH has no paid employees. We depend on the dedication and efforts of our volunteers without whom, we would not exist.
- A copy of the WASH Member Handbook and other WASH documents are available for download here.
- A copy of the WASH Brochure, in PDF format, is available for download here.
- A copy of the WASH Bylaws are available here.